18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Injury do to Injury

I've found in times in my career injuries tend to draw in more injuries. It's like the universe knows you have one, so its sends you a few more. Maybe its to get them all knocked out at once. Maybe its to kick you while your down. Maybe its to give a true test, pushing you into a greater depth of dedication. Far beyond what you knew you were capable of. Pass this test and future trials in life may seem minuscule. Fail and future obstacles may may become so overwhelming that giving up goes from being an option, to a normal occurrence.
How does this apply to me you might ask. Well about a month ago I felt a sharp pain at the top of my spine just below the neck. I've felt things like this before, so i ignored it, just as I ignored my lower back pain for several years. Being extremely upper body oriented in my training as of late, the new pain strengthened till one morning about a week ago, I woke up and realized it had become something I need to address. I'd rather not divulge all the details at the moment, honestly because I feel like a candy ass, but I'll just say it feels a lot like my lower back. Hoping that I'm overreacting, do to my sensitive nature on the subject of injuries lately, I'm adjusting my training once again. Extremely frustrated and angry I push forward. Not looking back and not looking ahead but taking every day as it comes.
There is a real son of a bitch attacking my thoughts, telling me that the injuries are related, and my spine may be done with this life. I fight him everyday and I'm still winning. The more limited I become, the stronger his voice gets. I keep telling him, sorry you cynical asshole, I'm not finished yet, so pipe down in there and let me do my thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment