18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

Friday, January 14, 2011

Action and Reaction

For every action there is reaction. Does that mean for every positive instance there is a negative one looming in the darkness? I'm not qualified to answer these types of questions. However in my life it seems to be the case. I can name several occasions where something incredible has happened to me, only to be followed by something equally life altering only on the opposite side of the spectrum of human emotion. Some of those stories are actually some of my favorite to tell. Sometime I may write about them. For now, as I write these words I realized that I am leaving something out. Each time the massive positive is followed by the massive negative, it leads to something positive in the end. Almost like a frequency. A wave length of highs and lows, crests and troughs. Maybe there is already a name for what I'm speaking of. There is probably some profound scientist somewhere who has developed an equation or graph linking the correlation of emotional events, and physics. But I'm no scientist. I just want to know why I had such a great day, one of the best in weeks, and then that day was harshly followed while I was slapped to the ground by the universe once more.
The day after such a successful jump session this week, the outcome inspired my coach to comment, "if your going to be jumping from a full run again, why not compete?" His logic seemed sound to me. Competitions tend to be fairly short, or less jumps than one would take in practice. We have a handful of home meets coming up, and it wouldn't cost me anything to enter in them. Then who knows, maybe something really exciting could unfold. So the plan was set, and I was so excited about it. It was like Christmas morning. I couldn't have been given a more precious gift. That night for the first time in my life I experienced what I can only describe as an allergic reaction. Something I have never had the pleasure of dealing with in my life. I noticed the hives first then the plugged nose, ears, bloodshot eyes, itchy throat, then swollen throat. I loaded up on anti-histamines and blacked out. The next day, I was the same, all day. I had a lot of work to do this week preparing our facility for the first indoor meet of the season. I was trying to move a large piece of football turf and I did something to my back. The pain was not sharp and immediate, but 5 minutes or so later, a large portion of my left leg went numb again. 2 days have passed since, I'm still sick, but not as bad, and my leg is missing some reflex but I think its a bit better. I feel like I'm back to square one. But then again, if things come in waves, I'm back on the bottom of the trough, and I have no where to go but up. When I reach the crest once again it's going to be fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment