18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Staying Relaxed, 5.55m Plus Video

       There is a lot I want to say, but I'm so tired. You know how you feel after driving through the night, or missing a night of sleep out partying or working? Well that's how I feel, and I've pretty much felt this way for a few days. I'm experiencing a fog of delirium, and writing at the moment seems a bit difficult. After competing in a sequence of Thursday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday (which was a brutally hot day) with lots of driving in between, I'm out of it. My body is beat down, and my mind is crippled. But I do have some video of my jumps yesterday so I will put them up, and possibly write more later. Before I give up on my literary ability for the day I must share something.
        I finally understand how to give myself the opportunity to really jump high. By relaxing and allowing it to happen, things have become much easier and feel effortless. Even with the amount of fatigue I've had, I've been higher in the air with ease. By trying so hard in weeks prior to force a result I was creating an even larger obstacle in my path. I had become my worst enemy, as the saying goes. When I finally relaxed, I disconnected myself emotionally by becoming carefree or fearless of an undesired outcome or complete failure. I just turned by brain off and enjoyed the ride. At some point you have to realize that you are so physically fit and technically prepared from all the time you put in, you have to stop trying so hard to use that fitness and technique, and allow it to do its job without trying to force it to, you have to step out of its way and take the ride, get out of the drivers seat and become the passenger in your own body. It really works, and pole vault suddenly is easy and fun again. With proper rest and a continued path of relaxation through the release of fear and anxiety I believe more in myself and dreams than I ever have.
         Here is some video, sorry for the rough angle but my tripod is a piece of junk, and Tyler did his best. Thanks for shooting for me buddy. Here is my third attempt make at 5.55m (18'2.5"), which was also my opening height that day, because I figured I was only good for a few jumps and didn't want to waste any. There is also a clip of my first attempt at 5.61m, which was my closest height wise, the other two were good jumps, but blow-throughs (which means my pole was too small) and not as impressive looking on video. Enjoy, I'm going to take a nap now, possibly for a few days.


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! And, best of luck at the trials. Looking forward to your next success!

    ReplyDelete