18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Quick Update

       I jumped my opening height of 5.40m (17'8.5") at Mount San Antonio College yesterday on my first attempt. I was unable to clear the next height of 5.60m (18'4.5"), but it was for much better reasons than my previous few outings. On my first attempt, my pole was too small, I grabbed a bigger pole, my second attempt was no good, and my third attempt that pole was too small, way too small, which is a great sign. By being more relaxed on the runway and emotionally detached from the outcomes of the future, I was on bigger poles, higher in the air, and very consistent, with what felt like much less effort. Pole Vault felt easy, and fun again, as it should. It was a great day of jumping and I'm excited to be back enjoying what I love doing. There are still questions about what fate has in store for me in the next few weeks, but I know better now than to allow them to consume my thoughts.

5 comments:

  1. Good to hear man! You are turning it on when it counts and that is all that matters. Keep living the dream!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul (from Willie & Harriett that met you at the Balboa Island Ferry last Monday). By our calculations, you only need 3.5 inches to get you to 3rd best mark in the country this year.
    YOU CAN DO IT! Be quick down that runway but don't hurry. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great meeting you guys. Funny how track and field can link so many people together. Thanks so much for the kind words and support. Its coming.

      Delete
  3. Paul,
    Kimberlin Brown here from The Young And The Restless And Bold And The Beautiful. My Mom and Pop told me about meeting you at Balboa Island. (Willie & Harriett Clarke) Hang in there and definitely prove the popular opinion wrong!!! As they say in Hollywood, break a leg! Good luck at trials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimberlin. I'm flattered. It was great meeting your folks, and I really appreciate the support.

      Delete