18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Early Fall Update


I should start a blog that is opinion and philosophy outside of pole vault. You guys should see some of the crap I ramble about. When I look back through it I wonder how readers would really respond. I’m sure there are some that would ask me to seek therapy. Maybe someday I’ll release it, like when I’m on my death bed or something. Either way, this is not an appropriate setting. Anyway, I was writing before this and felt like I should say hello when I got done.

I realize that when you don’t keep up on these things you lose most of your readership, but I don’t like writing for no reason, and I especially don’t like writing if it is going to be filled with negative garble. Lately I have had exactly that. In the midst of all that garble, I did coach a pretty awesome clinic down in Woodland, CA, at an indoor facility run by the Yolo Striders. I really had a blast working with the kids and would like to thank those that came, and the Striders for hosting. It made me miss all those years I spent coaching. That has always been a huge part of my life. It has granted me with lifelong friendships, and more gratification through success than my own athletic prowess could ever produce. Although I am pursuing other financial interests outside of the athletic world, I am going to begin setting more time aside for clinics and random opportunities to coach. Not only because I enjoy it so much, but because I think I’m pretty damn good at it. It is a way for me to give back to a sport that has given me so much, and for the sport to continue to make my life more positive. I hope to be a part of it until I am no longer psychologically capable.

On that note, I am going to do another clinic in Woodland on October 27th and 28th, as a Halloween camp, and competition the following day. I will post official details and links soon.

On a training note: When I arrived home after this last brush of unplanned travels, I returned to my unorthodox and carefully calculated training regiment with full force. I didn’t have a goal in mind, still being confused about the year to come, other than the fact that I felt out of shape and guilty about the way I had been “letting myself go”. As guilty as I felt, it turns out I didn’t let myself go too far. The bad weight melted off fast and the good weight is returning. My strength and speed are surprisingly high and I’m having a good time training again. I haven’t jumped from a longer run since I was in Colorado, but I had a couple of fun short run sessions in Woodland, and I actually think I kind of looked like a pole vaulter.

This is an entry in my journal from 3/24/2012 I will leave you with today:
“Stop listening to what everyone else is saying and take a moment to listen to your heart. It knows what is really possible and it is trying to tell you. Your future is not already written. You can shape it anyway you desire.”    

No comments:

Post a Comment