18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Brief Rest

I have been in go mode for about a month now and have been making amazing gains both physically and mentally. Charged and ready to jump again I may have gotten carried away. Something happened in my back last night that I chose to ignore and brush it off so that I could have my normal day of training today, taking me one step closer to my goals. However, my back pain did not allow for that, and find myself struggling to sit down, stand up, or bend any direction. Spending the rest of the evening laying on the floor of my living room, with my legs up on the couch, my hips and knees properly placed at 90 degree angles, I assumed the position. The only position I know that can get me as close to pain free as possible. I did not turn the TV on, or the stereo. I felt sick to my stomach with thoughts of what lay ahead. How many days will this take? Will I be ok to compete in Colorado? Will I lose the feeling I just recaptured when I pole vault? It didn't take me long to realize that dwelling on these questions was meaningless, but answering them briefly and moving on could prove quite productive. I've been in this situation before, and it just takes some time. With major injuries there are always small relapses, and that's all this is. I can hang onto to the technical and psychological breakthroughs i've made in the past month as long as I remain focused and positive. With down time I will be able to spend even more hours meditating and visualizing where I would like to see myself, during the vault, healing my body, and walking through life.

No comments:

Post a Comment