18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Day 4 of Eternity

I woke up this morning feeling close to normal. The term normal for me does not mean healthy, or healed, it means able. I don't expect to feel completely healed for the rest of my days. I made a choice to pursue what I love with a great many sacrifices, feeling healthy is one of those sacrifices. So I felt close to normal this morning, able, functional. I envy those post collegiate athletes that feel healthy. The two terms used together seem to be somewhat of an enigma, healthy athlete and elite athlete. I'm not sure that many exist. Everyone works around a physical problem or more, not to mention the psychological ones, but that is a discussion you could write a book about. What was the point I was trying to make initially? Sometimes I think the coffee takes over the writing for me. Oh yes, so normal, for me, is waking up with pain that subsides as the morning goes on, some numbness in my left leg that comes and goes throughout the day. But I work around it, and I do pretty dam good still if you ask me. Regardless of how I feel today. Impact is still not an option. I may be able to get away with it, but that's a gamble and could set me back even further. Kind of like the idiotic move I made on Friday by vaulting after I couldn't bend forward for 2 days to tie my shoes. I lost the smart athlete inside, and the younger, dumber, yet crazier side came out to play. Now the smart one has to deal with the boring, tedious aftermath. But my upper body will pay a small toll today at least.
These 4 days in chains have taken forever. Getting hurt right in the middle of a turning point in my season, or career really, is beyond frustrating and maintaining that momentum, and power of mind has been a most unwanted but manageable challenge. I'm ready to hop off these metaphoric dreary side roads with 25mph, school zone, speed limits, and take the on ramp to my highway of glory where I just recently removed all speed limits.

No comments:

Post a Comment