18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

Monday, January 30, 2012

Boise Idaho 1/28/2012

This was the last height I cleared in Boise of 17'6.5" (5.35m). I felt too far away from the pit and was going to bail on the jump, but wound up finishing it at the last moment possible. So it looks a little odd.
This was my best attempt at 18'1" (5.51). Not spectacular, but a step in the right direction.


Another 1,000 miles round trip in the Subaru, another $250 spent, another 17’6.5” (5.35m) competition. Some would be frustrated with a continuing result that is not near the one you have been working for. However, this was not the case for me. Mildly disappointed after my final failed attempt at 18’1” (5.51m) I walked off the pit with my chin up and a smile on my face. I didn’t go there to jump 18’, I went there to jump 19’. The following 2 or 3 bars in the progression were far more important to me. One of the first comments I made to a friend was that it was obvious to me that I jumped better that day, then I did the week before, it was a shame the final result doesn’t look better, because the jumping was better, and will only improve because of it. I achieved technical and psychological goals necessary to move forward towards 19’ heights, not 18’ heights. I felt things on the runway and on the pole that were extremely close to what I expect of myself.  So if you go on the Boise State Athletics website and search results from this past weekend you will see my name and to the right of it you will see 17’6.5”, and this will tell you nothing. This competition was much more than a height cleared, and although I may sound like a broken record, it was another important day that taught me what I needed to know for my next competition.
So, 4 days at home to recover, train, and mentally prepare, then another 1,000 mile round trip in the Subaru, another $250, and another successful competition to tell you about.


No comments:

Post a Comment