18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Staying on Task

This is a difficult week to write. Coming off such a large event, your thoughts continually wander back to the occasion and its outcome. Forward thinking becomes more difficult and at the same time most necessary.
I have been doing my best to dwell more on the things I learned about myself than the things I saw in others. I did take some great advice away from some very respectable people. However most of it was more along the lines of reinforcement of the ideas and philosophies I have taken on. It was fantastic to hear such renowned minds repeating things that have become as important to me as ones religion.
But I digress; this is what I was talking about, and I return now to forward thinking. Now it is time to take the knowledge, whether new, or strengthened, and put it to use. I know what must be done now, and I know I can do it. It’s that simple. I have spent the week painting a picture in my mind of what I want to see and feel during my next competition. I have seen it from all angles, the stands, the track, the pit, the ceiling, through my own eyes, and back at my body as if the pole had eyes of its own. It’s a wonderful show reel, and I look forward to living it.
This short week of prep has already ended, and I feel great about how I handled it; a careful balance of recovery and progression. Although it was four days ago it seems like yesterday I had just pulled back into town after another long trip, funny I should leave again in 8 hours. Normally I would give myself a days rest between a travel day and competition, but I decided not to this time. I don’t need it. I have a plan in mind and an intense drive to complete it. Without to much distraction, I want to arrive, get the job done, and stay on task with an invigorated confidence that will fuel the attack on my next endeavor in the story.  

1 comment:

  1. Sometimes we need to hear from others that we are doing some things right. Sometimes it is a matter of making a tweak or two, not big changes. Hope your jumping goes well in your next competition.

    ReplyDelete