18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Don't Say Anything at All

Growing up you are always told, "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all." I do my best to live that way. But it is hard, and at times even harder.
I feel like I'm a cliche in a country music song. I was on top of the world, now I'm down in the gutter. First USA's, then my dog, now a pole vault trip i was so excited about for months is turning into a disaster as I have failed to clear a bar at the first two competitions. Shit.
So life seems grim. It's in these times where you have to step back and look at yourself from the outside. Sure some bad things have happened in your eyes, but how about in the eyes of another. To many times have I forgotten just how lucky I am and how amazing my life is. There are millions of people on the planet who would literally kill to have the opportunities we are given in the US, the talent we are given as athletes, the knowledge we are given in school, the love we feel around us. You could extend the list on and on but you get the point. Looking at it that way I almost feel ashamed of feeling even mildly sorry for myself. Life is good. When times seem hard, put yourself in someone else's shoes for a moment, someone who's life makes yours seem like a dream come true. Suddenly your problems may seem trivial and your day might look just a bit sunnier.

No comments:

Post a Comment