18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

Sunday, June 5, 2011

A Personal Note

The previous week I was so thankful to have my good friends and former athletes in town to visit. Sam and Emmy. They didn't have the best week of vaulting, but we certainly had plenty of fun while they were here.
It made me remember that there are so many things I miss about Idaho. I miss the biking, the rock climbing, the mountains and the vast open spaces. But I can handle being away from all of that. What I'm still having a hard time with, is being away from my family and friends. It gets hard at times for Britney and I not to have that entire psychological and emotional support system at our full disposal. Phones and internet only get you so far in this accelerated age of telecommunication. Once you build a real network of positive energy and love like that, you don't understand how magical it really is until its gone.
As I grew older I don't know if it's me doing it, or some higher power. But I have always surrounded myself or been surrounded by the finest people, and I miss every single one of them when they are gone. Each time someone is removed from the dynamic it hurts in a way, and this time I removed myself. I can remember feeling similar to this when I moved to Idaho from California all alone, but I knew then that I had made the right decision no matter how hard it was, and i think that I have now as well. But that knowledge doesn't always make it easier.
That hole in my life drives me to succeed, but can sometimes make the rainy days seem a little gloomier.
The brighter side is, as always, I have already been surrounded by an extraordinary group of people out here. And they help remind me that everything in life always has a funny way of working out.

No comments:

Post a Comment