18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

18' 1" Olympic Trials 2008

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

USA's Afterthoughts

So I'm still pretty upset about my dog being gone, but I feel bad leaving my last post on a negative note. Needless to say a no height at the US Championships doesn't sound real positive either, but I'd like to tell you why it was.
For starters, I qualified. That fact alone is very promising and meaningful. There are many athletes out there working there tails off everyday who did not make the cut and being able to go there and compete is something very special.
Second thing was, and I hope I don't offend any of my friends by saying this, but I didn't feel out classed that day. Sometimes when you go to these larger meet you look around and think, I can't compete with these guys. But I didn't feel that way at all. The only exceptions that were in mind, and this is just on the day mind you not based on anyone's entire career, Brad Walker and Jeremy Scott looked like they were on a whole different level than the rest of us. The results may not have shown it, but those guys looked impressive. Getting back to my point, I felt like I was right in the mix of that group and could have walked away in a great position. I didn't, but the feelings of confidence and belonging remain.
Its was also a learning day. I wish I could have learned at a competition with less stakes, but I still took a lot away from it that I plan to carry into my coming street meets and the Olympic Trials.
The meet also acted as a motivator. I was already motivated, so i guess a better way of putting it is that it made me hungry. I'm hungry to compete again, not just for height, but for the win. Before my dog left me I was very focused and excited about an opportunity to compete again. The feeling is fighting it's way back, but it may take a few more days. Regardless of that, I feel like I'm about to turn that corner in journey back, where I surpass my former self and become an even greater athlete than I ever was.

Upcoming events

River Vault, La Crosse WI
Gill Factory Vault, Champagne IL
PVX, St. Charles MO
Cave Vault, Crystal City MO
Jumping and Jammin, Henderson KY
Pueblo State Fair, Pueblo CO

No comments:

Post a Comment